Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Blogging from the Floor #3

Sorry to all for not reporting in last evening - sort of feels like I'm in college again! We had a gathering of folks last night that turned into a great time of encouragement and fellowship. I just hope I don't fall asleep in Western Civ again today... wait... fast forward 15 years... in plenary session.

Yesterday was the first full day of plenary sessions. I'm not going to report on every detail or decision, but I'll describe the day the way I did to Roxanne VanFarowe from the Banner; "respectful." Particularly when it comes to the women-in-church-office issue there has been a good spirit. Joe VandenAkker from Classis Minnkota (the Classis that was sort of slapped on the wrist Monday night for sending a Communication as a classis that they were sending delegates in protest of the seating of women at Synod) set a motion to clarify that Church Order states classes may send Communications on pretty much anything. Synod doesn't have to act on them but may just receive them for information. That's what should have been done Monday evening. That led to some good discussion - rather lengthy - longer than it should have been had we acted correctly the night before. But basically the principle from Synod 2007 of making room was applied and the Advisory Committee that slapped the wrist had, as one delegate put it, "their noses smacked with the newspaper."

We spent yesterday rummaging through a whole bunch of business - probably the biggest thing was the proposed changes to the Contemporary Testimony. It was decided to not take amendments from the floor - which I guess happened back in 1986 and accounts for much of the cumbersome language for the now old CT. Some were concerned with what seemed like political statements toward the end of the document and also that the churches hadn't had much time to review the most recent revisions. Regardless, it passed.

We spent some time giving input to the Faith Formation Commmittee over lunch - particularly in regards to children at the Lord's Table and I Corinithians 11. We also interviewed and approved Mary VandenBerg as a new professor of systematic theology. I'd like to write more but my suitemate is breathing down my neck to go for breakfast. I'll be back!

Chad Steenwyk
delegate of Classis Holland

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for the reporting, Chad. I enjoy hearing your perspective...

Just wanted to encourage you to keep up the good work. And feel free to add your opinion.

Chad Steenwyk said...

Thanks Matt - hey, I have some opinions mixed in but want to respect the process of Synod - and not sure how much opinion I should give at this point... although I have plenty of them! You're the seasoned pro at this - you tell me how much I should say!

Chad Steenwyk